December 8, 2012

An "Out-of-this-World-Birthday"

This is Lucas' fourth birthday. The third cake I have made for him (missed out on his second year) and it is always a wonderful treat to see his face light up for his party.
This year Lucas was having a Space themed birthday. He was all excited about the planets and the stars, but had a love for the (now Defunct) Pluto. So the only request that was made, was for a planet type cake, and to please include Pluto on it.

I decided to do a sheet cake for this, making it a bit easier to have the planets on the cake, and not have to worry about transporting. The cake itself was a chocolate cake, iced in chocolate ganache to get that "shiny" look to it. The planets were made out of cake balls of various sizes, then covered in fondant.






I wasn't overly happy about my planets. The fondant didnt want to adhere to my cake balls without issue, and I was finding the balls were getting soft rather quickly. If I were to do it again, Rice Krispies would be the next option.

The birthday boy loved it.. especially the tiny little brown planet at the very end, just for him:)

No comments:

Post a Comment