June 19, 2012

Wedded Bliss

A few months ago, I was at a friends place for an Epicure party. While there, she introduced me to her niece, who was getting married this year and was planning on making her own cake and cupcakes. My friend knew that this was a bad idea, so she was hoping I could help steer her away from it, and possibly give me another client in the process.

While I know a lot of brides out there think its perfectly feasible to make your own cake and such, I highly discourage it. Not because I think you need to pay someone a ton of money to do a piece of dessert for you, but because as a Bride, the last thing you want to have to worry about on your wedding day is whether you will get your cake done in time, and not have icing all over yourself!

In any case, I gave the bride my advice, and told her if she wanted to speak with me about doing her cake, I would be happy to oblige. If she decided to go with someone else, well at least I could convince a Bride not to do her own cake.

A month or so later, she contacted me.

The wedding was a average size, but the Bride wanted a very small cake for cutting purposes and a few cupcakes for guests to eat instead. We went back and forth on some pictures she had sent for inspiration and I was glad to see it would be relatively a simple task. Elegant but thankfully simple.

Since this was my first "paid for" wedding cake, I was pretty excited to do it, and was counting down until the big day.

The colors were Blue and Yellow. Different than I had seen at a wedding before, but they actually did a nice job with the set up and the reception room looked wonderful. Too bad I didnt take a picture...

Blinged out Cupcakes



The cupcakes are blinged out with Edible hearts, blue and yellow cake sparkles and white sanding sugar, which hopefully glittered when the lights shone on them.

The wedding cake was a simple design and simple was what she wanted. I was overall pleased with the cake, but I found it to be a little too simplistic. The problem was the inspiration picture was a two tiered cake which had a large flower sitting on the side of the tiers. Being a single tier, there wasn't much I could do to add to it, without being completely hideous (in my opinion)
So I stayed simple.


At least at the wedding the cake looked like it fit in a lot better than it did on my kitchen counter:)



Unfortunately the Bride decided to forgo any stand or plates for these, so it was just placed on the table. I only hoped when the couple got there, someone was able to find something to place the cake on to elevate it a bit..


I hope the Bride and Groom loved them at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment