December 17, 2011

Touchdown!! A football birthday for a special little guy

Recently, I had posted a picture of my girlfriends birthday cake on an online forum I am a part of. I wanted to share my work since I was thrilled with how cute it turned out. From that, I got a message from a local girl, who wanted me to make her son's birthday cake and cupcakes. I was pretty excited to give this one a try since it would require a bit of carving on my part to make. The mother wanted a Football shaped cake, and some football themed cupcakes to go with it. Now, Wilton actually sells a football shaped pan, and I almost rented it to give it a try, but I figured this was pretty simple to carve, so I should use it as practice and do it myself.

First I had to get the football themed cupcake toppers done, since they needed some time to dry. I decided to make little footballs for half of the cupcakes and goalposts for the others. The footballs were pretty cute! The goalposts could have been a little bit better, but I did them freehand and the gumpaste was pretty thin.


Close up of the footballs..

Next I had to create the cupcakes. These were pretty easy to do, and with my trust grass tip, I was able to make a pretty realistic looking mini football field:)
And finally the cake itself. It came out pretty cute if I do say so myself. Not bad for a quick carving job. I could have made it a little bit wider, but the biggest thing was it looked like the ball..


I certainly hope little Levi had a great birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment