May 25, 2011

O...M...G....

A friend of mine had a simple request for her birthday.... Could I make her a German Chocolate cake. She sent me a link to the one she wanted and asked if it was something I could do.
I took a look and found it to be quite simple enough to do, and since I was always up to trying new recipes, I decided to give it a shot.

Now I ended up making this a week before her birthday because I wanted to make sure it turned out ok before her big day. Needless to say, I was threatening to hold the cakes ransom because they were absolutely out of this world Crazy-good!

The recipe came from Here. The hardest part was finding "German Chocolate" or otherwise known as Sweetened Chocolate. (I had no idea chocolate could be sweetened!!) Once we found that. it was smooth sailing.
Now this cake is definitely not for the weak, not for the diet crazy, and certainly not for anyone who is "Meh" about coconut or pecans. You MUST be a coconut/pecan lover in order to enjoy this cake in its entirety.

Because the birthday girl was only celebrating with her husband, she did not want a large cake that would stare at her for the next several days, and therefore end up sacrificing it to the garbage, so I decided to create her a small 6 inch cake for the big day, and then 6 "mini" cakes that she could freeze and bring out for whenever she needed a pick-me-up (or when one of her kids were driving her to drink)
And of course, because I had made a batch up beforehand, I myself ended up with a 6 inch cake and 6 mini cakes to deal with. (And unfortunately I am still trying to lose the baby weight!) Thank god for good friends and family who jumped on that bullet for me and came to the rescue!

So of course... the final results... Go ahead and drool.. I know you are!!


And the original blogger said it best.. I dare you not to touch the filling with a spoon!!

Happy Birthday Cass!

No comments:

Post a Comment