September 20, 2009

Cake Filled Weekend!

For being bored last week and deciding to just make a cake for "the hell of it" I was surely eating my words this weekend when I had to complete three cakes with a fourth a few days from now. Funny thing was all three cakes this weekend were for birthdays!

Two cakes were for clients, the first being a birthday cake for a ten year old. When I asked what kind of cake he would like, the response was "Carrot Cake"

Carrot Cake...
I was a little surprised that a ten year old's favorite cake was carrot! Im sure at that age mine was anything chocolately and gooey!
But I made a carrot cake for him... complete with cream cheese icing.
However things didn't quite go according to plan,
My first cake turned out great... except I left it in the oven accidentally for an additional 15 minutes. So while the cake itself was still fine, the top had crusted and overbaked a little too much for me to give to anyone but my family.
So the next day I attempted a second cake.
Sigh... someone decided to give me a run for my money....
The second cake, for reasons unknown, the center of the cake completely collapsed in itself. I took it out of the oven and watched as it deflated like a balloon. After doing some research on what might have happened, I figured the only thing that made sense was I tested it a bit too early and the center wasn't done.

So Third time's the charm right?
Once I finally had the cake made and everything came out right.. it was time for the icing and the decorating.
The Birthday Boys cake was to be a "SmackDown/Raw" WWE wrestling logo cake. Whether it was something he wanted or something to surprise him with, I'm not sure... but I was very pleased with how well it turned out. If it was a surprise for him, I would have liked to have seen his face when he saw it!

Happy Birthday Dixon!

I got an email from my photographer friend who needed a cake smash cake for a One year olds photoshoot she was doing on the weekend. I had only a day to think on this one and how I would decorate it, but I'm sure the parents will love the cake and how well it will work in the smash photos. I do hope I get to see what they look like!

Happy Birthday Sebastian!


And finally... my BFF turned the big 31 this weekend and of course we had to celebrate. So I whipped up a cake for the occasion and it was widely loved by our dinner guests. The birthday girl was happy with the cake, even though she wasn't happy about being 31!

Happy Birthday Amber!!


And with that... my weekend was done. My kitchen smells of sugar and I think I've gotten high off of the fumes!!

But I had a lot of fun doing them all. Happy Birthday All!!

No comments:

Post a Comment