August 21, 2009

Course III - Fondant and Tiered Cakes

Wow, I definitely haven't had time to update since I began Course III! Thankfully the first week was nothing exciting to talk about.

Class II began our first cakes with fondant. I had never worked with the stuff before, nor had I ever eaten it, so I was keen to find out what was so "bad" about it. To be honest, the fondant I had wasn't bad at all. My husband said it kind of tasted like those little mini marshmallows you get in kids cereals. I guess that is about as close of a comparison as I had as well. I had heard of some horror stories about some other fondant brands which are pretty bad to eat, but so far the stuff I am using is ok. I don't think I would want to eat a whole slice of it... but really, most people who have a fondant cake, don't eat it anyways!! Its purely decoration, and to be honest, makes cake decorating a lot easier!

Think of it as playdoh. You can sculpt and mold almost anything you want for a cake! It hardens in a day or two, keeps it's shape, and looks good! And if your little toddler, or big kid decides they want to eat it.. they can!!

Anyways, our first cake was a simple present cake. Working with fondant was pretty simple. I didn't mind it at all, and I am already looking forward to my final cake which is two fondant covered cakes.
Rolling it out is probably the hardest part, learning the right thickness needed to cover the cake, and not rip into pieces. and because this is a class about learning things, they of course want us to cover one of the hardest shapes... the square.

It wasn't bad. But I can see where it takes some practice.

Anyways.. my first fondant cake:

I'm not sure if I like my color choices. I wanted something a little different than the standard white that was in the book. I wasn't completely happy with it, but I did enjoy doing this. I am looking forward to working with fondant again... even if my customers rip it off to eat the cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment